September 12, 2009
It is early spring here in Paraguay and the weather is in a state of flux. One day it is hot and humid and we think it’s time to get ready for the really hot months and then the next day it is 30 degrees cooler with rain and winds and that throws us off. Today is a pleasant cool morning for our P-Day but the sun is out and the sky is clear and things are good. The country is basking in the glory of a wonderful soccer victory over archrival Argentina this week that qualified Paraguay for the World Cup tournament next year in South Africa. The game was played here in Asuncion in the large downtown stadium. In the days running up to the game, most of the corners had makeshift stands selling team jerseys and flags and hats from the national team. I have noticed that there are very strong feelings, sometimes negative, between the countries in this area. Most of the animosity stems from wars between these countries dating back 150 years. For years Argentina has dominated Paraguay in soccer but this year was different. Paraguay has a very good team and they won the other night 1-0 and the city went nuts. It was especially sweet for the people here because it did clinch their position in the cup tournament. All night we were hearing fireworks and music and car horns. It has brought back memories of my days in Argentina where I first was exposed to the passion felt for this worldwide sport. When we can watch the local news I will see scores from teams I remember from Argentina. The day after the match, the city was happy. I wonder if the missionaries were able to get into more homes? Last Saturday evening we attended the baptism of a sister being baptized by the office missionaries. It was a nice service and fun to see the office missionaries out teaching and baptizing. After the service we came home and I turned on the computer and listened to the last quarter of the BYU-Oklahoma game. It was pretty exciting. I found myself pacing the floor a bit during the last Oklahoma drive. At the same time there was a local soccer match that was going on and it just so happened that just as the BYU game ended, the soccer match ended and the neighborhood set off firecrackers in celebration. It made me feel like everyone was celebrating BYU’s victory. I might be able to listen to a little bit of the Tulane game today. We have another baptism with the office elders today. It is the young man who I met a few weeks ago and challenged to study hard and to join the Church. He said he would at the time and today he has asked me to baptize him. Sandy and I met with Fernando and his less-active wife last night in my office to discuss the ups and downs of marriage. They have been separated for a few months and we encouraged them to get back together and to work through their problems. We promised them that the Lord would bless them and now that Fernando will be a member of the Church, they can begin to prepare for the temple. It is so nice to have a temple here that the members can see. It is a strong symbol for the members of the Church that Paraguay has “arrived”, so to speak. We had a nice visit with this couple and felt the Spirit and they did as well. It won’t be long and they will be back under the same roof. I’m confident that in a year’s time we will be with them in the temple.
Of course the most exciting news of all this week was not the BYU game. We were so grateful to hear that our daughter Wendy and Kevin were blessed with the birth of little Colin, a healthy son. With the miracle of technology we have been able to see him live via Skype on our computer and hear his little cry and to see his blue eyes. We do live in a world of communication wonders. It isn’t the same certainly as holding him but we feel connected nonetheless and that softens a bit the emotions caused by being so far away. Life is good and the Lord continues to smile upon our family. Can we ever repay Him for all He has done for us? King Benjamin taught that we are ever in His debt but through service to our fellow beings, we are in His service. Service to others is such a blessing to all of us. I have found that it is the key to a happy life. It keeps us grounded and focused. It serves as a protection against pride and worldliness. Service strengthens one against the allure of sin. I am grateful to the Lord for opportunities to learn through service. It is a blessing to see our missionaries coming to understand what service is. We see so many missionaries that are filled with the love of God for these people. They would do anything to help their investigators embrace the gospel. As Joseph taught, a man filled with the Love of God is not content with blessing his family alone but ranges the whole earth, anxious to bless the whole human race.
We receive 19 new missionaries in a week and a half. I spent a full day here at my office in the mission home, secluded away, seeking direction on where they would serve and who would be trainers for each. I have felt a very rapid connection develop between me and the missionaries. I am grateful the Lord has helped me get to know them so well so quickly. It makes all the difference as I look at my missionary picture board in the office. All 20 new missionaries who arrived 5 weeks ago are doing well. Each companionship is doing great, getting along well and learning together. Of mission is getting younger and younger. Many of our missionaries in the near future will have to step up and become leaders in the mission sooner than is the norm because of these changes. But the Lord is preparing them and they will be ready. With the influx we will reopen a couple of areas closed because of lack of missionaries. The remainder will remain in Asuncion where we will strengthen the stakes here by increasing the numbers of missionaries in the wards. We have been told that by the end of the year we will be up to 190 missionaries, up 40 from when we arrived. This will allow us to increase the complement in Asuncion by about 22 missionaries. I have also directed the mission to make an adjustment to the daily schedule to bring us a bit more in line with the schedule outlined in Preach My Gospel and will allow the missionaries to proselyte for an additional 90 minutes per day. It will be like adding 33 missionaries to our force with the increase of hours. Getting around here takes so much time out of the schedule as the missionaries takes buses or walk everywhere. Bikes are not approved here and I am glad for that because of the safety issues. I am also looking at how and when we conduct weekly district meetings to streamline the process. I am meeting a bit of resistance, especially from the “veteran” missionaries, but for the most part there has been a positive, faithful response. My weekly letters are showing a marked increase in excitement about the work and we are beginning to see increases in our proselyting statistics. I am sure additional adjustments will be needed but I think we are moving forward in a way that is pleasing to the Lord. Speaking of letters, I received a letter from one of our sister missionaries describing a sweet experience she had as she and her companion taught a new investigator.
Sister Thompson relates the following experience: “Last night we taught the first lesson to a sister who was so full of faith. At the end of the lesson, she asked, ‘Do you believe in personal revelation?’ ‘Yes’, we said. ‘Do you believe in dreams?’ We explained a little bit about Lehi and told her that ‘Yes, we believe that revelation can come through dreams.’
She then shared with us a dream she had. She said, ‘I dreamed I was in a beautiful, beautiful house -- not like this house -- a beautiful, beautiful house, with many lights. One wall reflected to the opposite wall and the opposite wall reflected back and back and forth forever.’ She asked, ‘What do you think?’ Sister Thompson concludes, “She´ll remember that dream when she goes to the temple one day. She called us angels and recognized us as servants of God.” Sister Thompson was humbled by the experience and strengthened to know the Lord is preparing His people.
We heard another faithful sister report that before she and her family met the missionaries, she was at home one day and felt a strong impression that she would meet someone very important that day at her home and that she should clean her home and prepare for the visitors. She and her family spent time cleaning and organizing and when they finished they sat down and waited. They then heard the clapping (how a visitor to a home announces his arrival) of our missionaries outside her home. They received them as their awaited visitors and eventually joined the Church. Yes, there are many things that if changed would improve the functioning of the Church here. But the depth of faith manifested by our faithful members is remarkable and humbling.
Sandy and I are preparing to receive a visit from our first Visiting Authority, Elder Marcos Aidukaitus of the Seventy. He is from Brazil and serves in our Area Presidency. His visit will be one day shorter than previously planned so we cut out a day in Brazil visiting the waterfalls there. We’ll get there sometime soon. We will meet him at the airport on Tuesday morning and after lunch at home, we will have a conference for the missionaries in Asuncion. The next day we will head off to Encarnacion for a day of conference and then on to Cuidad del Este for another day. Friday we will head back to Asuncion to get Elder Aidukaitis on his plane back to Buenos Aires. Sandy is working hard to prepare the mission home for the visit. She is working with the wonderful sister who helps so much with domestic things to prepare meals and to get things just so. The office missionaries have been getting the office cleaned up and up to snuff. Over the years many things have accumulated around the office that we are trying to remove to help make the place seem more professional and organized. Sandy is having a great influence on our surroundings and in creating a sense of order here. It is making a difference.
I have been interviewing missionaries all week and it is nice to be visiting now with missionaries with whom I have already met and challenged. The interviews are exhausting but important and helpful in addressing matters of concern. I had “breakthrough” interviews with a couple of missionaries who have been struggling for many months with obedience issues and general matters of dedication to the work they were called to do. Perhaps now, they can begin to rise to the level of their privilege as missionaries. I know they will be happier. One spoke of missing the times when he could do what he wanted. He had spent years sitting in his room playing video games with friends and watching movies and he missed it. I think growing up on a farm would be a blessing to all of us. Another desperately misses his girlfriend and doesn’t know if he can make it. Several want to kill their companions but promised me they wouldn’t. At times I think the description I heard once about being a mission president is true. It was described as like being on a three year camping trip with the scouts! But I love them and my heart is filling with great admiration for what they do.
Sandy and I are getting better about our exercise program here in the mission and we feel better. The missionaries had gotten away from doing their exercises each morning and so we adjusted the schedule to allow for 30 minutes of exercise each day, beginning at 6am. As we move into the warmer months, it will be important to have healthy and fit missionaries. The pool at the mission home is starting to look quite inviting. Yes, Mission Presidents and their wives can swim but the young, full-time missionaries cannot. The pool service is working on getting the pool ready for swimming season. Perhaps we can swim after exercising or just before we go to bed to cool off. I also took my car in to be serviced for the first time since arriving. The office elders helped us find the place. I think I’ll be able to find it again. Well, I think I’ll read a little in Preach My Gospel and plan for the baptism tonight. We send our love and gratitude for your wonderful support. Have a great week. The work is true! Our Savior is at the helm. Mark and Sandy

No comments:
Post a Comment