Dear Family and Friends,
I thought I'd share a few of the events of this week. On Sunday we attended our ward here in Asuncion , the Barrio Herrera . I was so happy that it was the Primary program. The primary probably had 15 children and three leaders.The children were so excited and just like at home the attendance in the meeting was the best we have seen there since we came. The children were well prepared in their talks and music. They used the recorded music for most of the songs. There were two older Primary girls who took turns leading the music. They had one child sing at the microphone as the others sang along. It was sweet and just like the programs at home, only in spanish. There were sweet children singing and sharing their testimonies with us. The messages of eternal families is so important and it was nice to see some families there with the dads. There seems to be a problem with men staying active here. There are many strong women but they are so sad their husbands either aren't members or are less active.
The week was filled with three zone conferences here in Asuncion and also interviews for Mark with the misionaries. I love the conferences when we can see all the missionaries and share messages with them to help them stay excited about the work. Mark taught well about planning and using our time well and how to be more effective missionaries through using the spirit. The assistants and zone leader led the missionaries in some practices to help improve their missionary skills. I spoke a bit too, also about the Holy Ghost. I enjoy speaking with the missionaries while they are waiting for their turn to interview with Mark. It gives me a chance to get to know them a little better and many ask medical advice at that time. I never knew so many people could have so many rashes! We have some wonderful missionaries here who are trying hard to do what they are supposed to . I ask about their apartments , we've been out to check quite a few. I also like to find out how they are doing with preparing food. For many of the missionaries here they have lunch appointments, which is nice. They really only have to worry about breakfast and a little something at night. The noon meals are the big meal of the day here so it works well for the missionaries. Some of the missionaries ask me cooking questions. Or they like to tell me the strange things they've eaten. One missionary had mondongo(beef stomach or intestines-I'm not sure which) and crocodile within the first few weeks of coming here. Another one had anaconda steaks. The Hermanas were telling me they had bought some breaded chicken patties at the grocery store and when they were cooking them they realized they were pidgeon and they weren't sure they could eat it but they did.
The weather has been hot a few days but cool and rainy others. When it rains it pours here. The other day the elders went out to take a picture of a street near the mission office. They called it River Road. The street was totally full of water and it was running just like a river. The drainage systems are not very good here so when it rains hard the roads quickly fill. It makes for great missionary pictures.
We are always amazed at how quickly the days go by and the many things we feel like are left undone at the end of the day but we just keep plodding along. I do love the companion I have and I am grateful I don't have to change companions like the other missionaries! Mark and I look at each other often and say how glad we are that we are in this together!! Hope everyone has a good week! We love you. Sandy

I love reading about your experiences! I'm sure the rashes and food stories make for some great conversation with Mark. Thanks for writing!
ReplyDelete