Friday, September 23, 2011

September 18, 2011

September 18, 2011 

Dear Family and Friends,                                                                                
 
         Last Sunday I went to our ward so I could see the Primary program. I had been misinformed and the program was not going to be for another week. I spoke to the Stewart children who are Americans living in here while their dad works at the Embassy. They were both giving talks the next week and since I knew we would not be there I asked them to practice on me so I could hear their talks and hear the Spanish they are learning. After sacrament meeting we stayed in the chapel and they both gave me their talks. Emma and Isaac both did such a great job. Their accents were excellent and they were so cute speaking Spanish. If they keep learning at this speed for the next year a half they will be in Paraguay they will go home totally fluent.  I was really impressed!
   Tuesday we went to a district meeting in Ytororo. Elder Clement is the district leader and he did such a great job leading the meeting. They focused on the things taught in zone conference and had some good discussions on how to help their investigators.  Elders Clement, A.Baldwin, Rios, Soria, Arriola, Wiilson, VanMondfrans, and Bullock all seemed happy and participated in the discussions. It is always nice to see a district being led by good leaders! I enjoy going to district meetings just so we can be with the missionaries in smaller groups and it is always good to see the good things happening in the districts.
    Mark spent time with two zone leaders Elders Snow and Love during their planning session for the week on Thursday. Spending time in planning sessions helps President know if the messages being taught at zone conferences and training meetings is being put into the practice by the missionaries. It is especially important to know if the zone leaders are planning well so they can help the people in their zones when they go on divisions. Mark tries to get out to planning sessions as often as he can. He always enjoys time with the missionaries in smaller settings like those.
    This weekend we were in Paraguari for district conference. We were there Saturday for auxiliary, Priesthood and the adult meetings and again Sunday for the general session. The Saturday attendance is always difficult for many people here. There were about 13 of us in the auxiliary meeting and probably the same in Priesthood leadership.  The combined number made up the adult meeting.  Sunday many more were able to come (around 300) and we also enjoyed a nice meeting with new members and investigators before the regular session. Elders Gutierrez, Clyde, Kragenbrink, B.Madsen, Ramos, Schone, Avendano, Neves, Jackson and Bybee brought about thirty people for our  missionsry meeting. This district has many more families than some of the other districts. When families come into the church all together there is a built in support system that helps them adjust better to their new lives in the church. We met some wonderful people who are learning about the church and are fairly new members. We enjoyed the weekend there.
  Saturday the eleven year old daughter of the district president had practiced and played the piano for the adult meeting. She had worked hard and did well.  She can only practice at the church because they don’t have a piano at home. I spent a little time helping her with some things to work on as she practices after our meeting on Sunday.President Gill asked if I would play on Sunday so I did. It’s always an adventure when the special musical number of a men’s choir gets up to sing and then asks me to accompany them. The Lord helped me and we made it through! The mission had a few electric keyboards that weren’t being used so we took one to Ruth Gill to use so she could practice at home. I told her how our children practiced piano before school and she promised me she would do the same so she could continue progressing so she can accompany in meetings. She was so happy to get the keyboard.
  Well the church is true and we are happy to be here helping spread the good news!  
                                                                                       Love, Mark and Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment