Sunday, January 31, 2010

January 30, 2010

January 30,2010

Dear Family,

As we look at the calendar we realize that exactly one year ago we had our first interview with Elder Nelson that began the process for our being here on our mission. We have had many changes in our lives since that time. We have been in Paraguay 7 months and in many ways we can’t believe it. The time is moving quickly partly because of the full days and the never ending list of things we have yet to do. We are grateful for the help we are receiving and for the wonderful growing experiences we are having. We are very happy !

Monday we began at the office so Mark could interview some missionaries. We took the office elders and assistants out to lunch to thank Elder Barate and Elder Vance who are heading back to the field after serving as an assistant and the fichero(historian). We are always a little sad when they leave those positions. We will miss the daily contact with them but they have much to share with the missionaries in their districts and zones. They have both served well. Elder Vance will continue training Elder Roberts in the office for a couple weeks before he goes out to the field but Elder Barate left on Wednesday when his new companion arrived. After lunch we came home to read and study the names and faces of the new missionaries and learn a little bit about them before they arrived on Tuesday.

Tuesday we arrived at the office early to prepare to receive 15 new elders. At noon we went to the airport to welcome Elder Ariola from Salvador and Elder Olmedo from Paraguay. They both had been at the Argentina CCM (MTC). We brought them back to the office for lunch and orientation with the office staff and me and interviews with Mark and then they went out teaching with the office elders. At 4 pm we went back to the airport to welcome 13 north American elders. The airport lets us go back to greet the missionaries as they come through immigrations and it is such a sight to see all the missionaries come through the gates. I had such a strong feeling that we were receiving a group of strong elders who are ready to work and serve. It was wonderful ! We returned to the office and had a dinner with all the new elders and then we went through the same orientation/interview process we had with the latin elders. All the elders went to a hotel for a good night sleep before returning to the office at 7:30 am the next morning.

On Wednesday while the office elders took the new elders to go sign their legal documents, Mark held training with the elders who would train all the new elders. When they returned from signing everyone met together for more training and introductions of the new companionships. It’s so fun to watch the process as the elders see who will be their companions. Some again had impressions that were verified as the companionships were announced. It was fun to see them bonding as they left the meeting. We went out to the office parking lot and the army of taxis arrived to take the elders to their new areas or to the bus terminal to catch colectivos(bus) to their areas. In a matter of 20 minutes most everyone was on their way. I always feel on change day that I am watching an orchestra or a dance as all the planning and preparing allows for a fairly smooth moving around the mission of probably half the missionaries when we receive a large group, either in changing assignments or going to get a new companion. On the night of changes I really feel the worries of a mom hoping everyone safely gets home to their apartments, except it’s multiplied by more children than I ever had to worry about!!

Once the taxis left it was time to go to lunch with the three Elders who were returning home. There is an interesting contrast in the arriving and leaving missionaries. They come all excited and scared and a bit nervous and unsure. They usually leave more mature, more self confident but still a little nervous for the future ahead. What great preparation young people receive for life as they serve their missions . After lunch we went to a session at the temple and then we did some sealings. I love the temple so much, I am so glad we have one here that we can go to every six weeks with the leaving missionaries. The temple is such a place of comfort for me. I always feel like I am home when I am there. The temple is the one place that I totally understand everything in Spanish. I know it is because of our weekly temple morning that Mark and I have had for so many years that it is so familiar and comfortable. What a blessing to have a temple here in Asuncion! I was reminded of the comfort I received in the temple before we received our callings that things would work out for us and our family as we served. I have seen the evidences of those feeling already in our family. What a blessing to know we can be together forever because of this wonderful gospel and the sealing powers of the priesthood. We ended the evening with a testimony meeting and dessert at the mission home.

Thursday morning as I was going out to the quincho to exercise I saw 4 green parrots fly across our yard. I still love to see the birds and flowers here. It is so beautiful! We went to the office where Mark had meetings with his assistants to plan the consejo de lideres (leadership council) that’s coming up. He also finished up some more interviews for the office elders. He had a presidency meeting in the evening with his mission presidency. Friday we went to the office for a bit and were heading home when he was called back to take care of a matter with an elder. We then took the three leaving elders to the airport to say goodbye. We went to do our weekly grocery shopping and then came home . The power went out for an hour or so, a fairly common occurrence, and then came back on just in time for us to go to bed.

Saturday we went out an exercised and actually took a swim also. We don’t have a lot of chances to use the pool but when we do it is nice . Today we are home as Mark is preparing for some meetings and tomorrow we will be on the road at 5am to drive 3 hours to go to Ca’aguazu where a new branch president will be sustained. I will go with him this week so I will not be walking home from church like I did last week! Well , we love you all and miss you. Hope you all have a great week. Love, Mark and Sandy

1 comment:

  1. I am amazed at your stamina and energy! I got tired just reading about your week! Keep up the good work! I love reading your letters.

    ReplyDelete